Understanding Your Dashboard Warning Lights
As you drive through Louisville, KY, your dashboard warning lights alert you of any immediate service needed to prevent further damage to your vehicle. First, you need to understand what your warning light symbols mean and how you can best respond to each maintenance need and get back on Russel Springs, KY roads. Below is a breakdown of some dashboard warnings light that you’ll find on your new or used vehicle as presented to you at Don Franklin Family of Dealerships. Then stop and see our vast inventory in person!
Dashboard Warning Lights Symbols: Icon Meanings
Each of your warning light symbols represents an essential component or part of your vehicle that needs to operate at its best on Russel Springs, KY roads. Here are a few of the most common car dashboard warning lights and their meanings that will notify you that it’s time to bring your car in for an inspection:
- The coolant temperature alert – This light indicates that the temperature has exceeded the average operating temperature. Check the coolant level, the fan operation, see if there are any leaks, and inspect the radiator.
- Brake system alert – The light comes on when the brake fluid is low when the parking brake is on, and when the braking system has a problem.
- Reduced power warning light – It comes on when the engine has limited power output. When this happens, your engine or ECM requires a professional diagnosis that involves scanning.
- Tire pressure warning light – This light lets you know if the pressure in one or more of your tires is too low.
- Oil pressure warning light – This light could mean that the engine is low on oil or an issue has occurred with the oil pressure system.
- Antilock brake warning – If you see this symbol, the antilock brake system has a problem.
- Battery alert – When looking at your car dashboard icons, this light means the charging system does not have enough power, or your car is only running on battery power.
- Traction control malfunction – Your anti-skid system may be off completely, or it is experiencing an issue.
- Automatic shift lock or engine start indicator – This light will let you know if you need to press the brake to get your car out of neutral or to start the car.
Contact Don Franklin Auto for More Information
Visit our Somerset, KY dealership premises for inspection and maintenance depending on what your dashboard warning lights tell you. Our highly skilled technicians have the knowledge and expertise needed to diagnose any issues with your particular make and model. We offer plenty of helpful auto service tips and tricks, and you can even save on your next visit when you take advantage of our service coupons. Contact us for more information on how to decipher all of your warning light symbols, and schedule an appointment at our Lexington dealership!